Wednesday 3 October 2012

Author Spotlight - Linda McMaken talks about the inspiration behind "The 3 Baers Trilogy"



Even though I'm a Midwest girl by birth, my heart is in the West. My mom used to read me Zane Grey, Louis L'amour, and Max Brand books. She took me to every John Wayne movie that was made and she'd talk about mountain men and cowboys and their free spirits. Cowboys are tough, hardworking, quiet and unassuming, and I think that is what attracts many people to read and attracted me to write about them.

I'd have to say my inspiration for writing westerns, would be my mom. Although she never got to visit the West, it lived in her in so many ways. She would tough, dependable, hardworking, faithful, everything that history seems to have embodied in cowboys.

Since, I know about farming, but very little about ranching, I figured me being on a ranch would be pretty funny to those cowboys. So, there is a bit of me in some of those funny scenes.

Baer Truth, the first book in the Three Baers Trilogy began during a family vacation in Wyoming. We passed a cattle ranch where hundreds of head were grazing. I wondered about that ranch family, how long had they lived there? How big was the ranch? Then my snarky muse (who I call comedian Robin Williams evil twin) takes over and says "what if a cowboy on that beef ranch fell for a girl who happened to be a vegetarian?" Baer Truth was born, and other cowboys soon followed!

Booktrailers - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BuDECZsZrg - Baer Necessities
and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaA8p65oOeo - Baer Truth


Linda McMaken
www.linda-mcmaken.com
www.makenwords.blogspot.com

BAER TRUTH - Book One of the Three Baer's Trilogy
-One of them will be just right for you!
From Desert Breeze Publishing

THE GRANITE ROSE
Ancient Rome, epic battles, endangered hearts
From Desert Breeze Publishing

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great series! I love a good western. :)
    Best of luck and continued success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love Linda McMaken, her Baer Brothers and the women they fall in love with in the stories. Well I should say the 2 heroines that I have met so far. I was lucky enough to meet Linda at Lori Foster's Get-Together in June and absolutely embarrassed myself when I first saw Linda in the hotel lobby by shouting out, "I love you Linda McMaken." I was just a "little" excited about getting to meet her. Please keep that hysterical muse of yours happy so we can enjoy more of your fabulous books, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love John Wayne movies :-) putting on TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for visiting!. You rock, Chastity and Kay! And Margie - there was NO embarrassment. Do you know how completely flattered and gob-smacked I was that someone even knew who I was??? You made my year, sweetie!! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard great things about this book and I love the cover. Will definitely add to my must read list ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea. If you ever do another one about ranching - my dear, adorable and very smart Dad was raised on a farm. One day we were driving through the country and he slammed on the brakes to show us the buffalo - wrong, they were cows and to the day he died he never lived that mistake down. I've always thought something like that would be fun in a book.

    Good luck with lots of sales. Your stories sound like great reads.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you cinful1121! Thanks Paisley! Poor dad, I understand, I had a similar incident with a baer, um, bear. LOL Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhh! I love me some cowboys! :) I also grew up with Louis L'Amour, Zane Grey, John Wayne, Bonanza...
    Born in the east but my heart is in the west.
    Best of luck with your series, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I lived in Texas for three years and fell in love with it. Texans are definitely one of a kind, gotta love those cowboys!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great and awesome series. I've read them over and over. Can't wait till the next one. Gotta love Texas cowboys! Thank you Linda for writing such great stories :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great and awesome series. I've read them over and over. Can't wait till the next one. Gotta love Texas cowboys! Thank you Linda for writing such great stories :)

    ReplyDelete