Wednesday 10 October 2012

Author Spotlight - Danielle Thorne talks about what she learned from a Hobbit

Part of being a good writer is being a reader, and I don't often get the chance to indulge in reading for pleasure these days. It's ironic, since books have been my biggest inspiration in life. Last summer, I sat down for almost three days and indulged myself in a Lord of the Rings marathon. As much as I would have liked to have time to actually sit down and read the books (and I plan to with my ten year old who let me read The Hobbit to him last year), I did get a lot out of the movie and took some time to reflect on the beauty of Tolkien's imagination and the wisdom in his messages.

Every time I write a story, whether it's a romance or some far flung adventure, I am conscious of the messages that I send out with my characters. While I'm certainly no genius at integrating life changing morals into epic tales, I am fully aware of the impact of what my stories say. It's my hope that with my sea adventures, the reverence I have of the oceans comes through the pages.

With historicals, I strive to bring the beauty and innocence of the past to life. With my young adult paranormal, Death Cheater, I hope that you ponder on the fragile existence we own in this short life, and the power we have to make it all that it can be. Life needs reverence and beauty, and it takes courage, too.

So many lessons are too easily forgotten. Maybe in his own way, that's what Tolkien was trying say. Here are ten things that I have learned from the hobbits of the Shire:

Life was meant to be an adventure.
Never, never, never quit.
Faith will always find a way.
There is no greater gift than a loyal friend.
Power is a heavy burden to those who are true, and a weapon for the wicked.
No one is flawless.
To die with a friend, is to go in peace.
Trees have feelings, too.
To choose not to act, is to fail what is right.
There is no place like home…

I know there are more messages, all more profound, in the story of Frodo and his ring that I haven't even begun to unravel. I wish I'd taken the time to jot down my thoughts as I watched the films, but that they still linger on my mind is proof of the profound influence a good book can have. I wish each of you a wonderful autumn full of books (and epic film interpretations) that bring inspiration, wisdom, happiness -- and yes, adventure.

Check out the adventure of Athena Gray in Desert Breeze Publishing's Death Cheater. Here's a little blurb:

Athena Gray lives vicariously through her sister because people in general avoid her. Whether it's strange things like dead butterflies fluttering to life, or the time she saved her dying grandpa just by willing him to live, Athena knows that she is different. The only person who doesn't seem to think so is Dan, the most popular boy on Omega High School's baseball team.

Happy Reading!
Danielle Thorne
www.daniellethorne.com


Bio
Danielle Thorne is the author of sweet romantic adventure books, both historical and contemporary. She currently writes from south of Atlanta, Georgia. Besides contract editing and writing full time, Danielle has four sons with her husband, Rob. Together they enjoy travel and the outdoors.


Backlist
DEATH CHEATER (Desert Breeze Publishing)
THE PRIVATEER (Desert Breeze Publishing)
BY HEART AND COMPASS (Desert Breeze Publishing)
JOSETTE (Whimsical Publications)
TURTLE SOUP (Smashwords)
SOUTHERN GIRL, YANKEE ROOTS (Willow Moon Publishing)

7 comments:

  1. Great post, Danielle, and worthy things to learn from a humble Hobbit. I read the whole series to my kids too. We started with The Hobbit and finished each of the other books just before each movie came out. Another book you might like is a tiny little tome - something of a devotional - called Finding God in The Lord of the Rings by Kurt Burner & Jim Ware. Your book sounds fab! Keep pressing on and enjoying the adventure~
    Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Naomi, and thanks for the book referral. I'd love to check that out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Read and reviewed both Death Cheater and Turlte Soup and loved the both. YA will love Death Cheater. One of the lessons you learned reading reminds me of Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz, there's no place like home :) Blessings for sweet success, BJ Robinson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, BJ. I sure appreciate the kind words. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great points. Tolkien is one of my favorites. I read The Hobbit to my dog when the power went out, years ago. She didn't appreciate the finer point, but she appreciated me talking to her. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's nice that you're sharing such great books with your ten year old. :) I want to do the same with my son when he gets older. It's nice to get to know you a little bit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by Laurel and Patty. I can't say I've read out loud to a dog, but a bunch of little boys is probably close, haha. Patty, I definitely recommend reading to your son. We started with Charlotte's Web and Stuart when ours were like 6 and 7 years old. Just a chapter before bed. I hope they remember those times. :)

    ReplyDelete