Monday 10 October 2011

Author Spotlight - Q&A with Deborah Kinnard


DEB: A little about POWERLINE: the book grew out of my own experiences as a crisis line volunteer back a few years. Since it was run from a secular, humanistic mindset, we weren't allowed to point people toward Christ or indeed faith of any type. I started playing with what might happen if a crisis line was set up the other way--and encouraged its volunteers to counsel the callers with the love of God. POWERLINE grew out of that, and I think my volunteer did a pretty good job.

STEPH: How long did it take you to write PL?

DEB: In several drafts, it took almost three years. I showed it in an early incarnation to a friend who writes and sells screenplays, and she liked it enough to show it to a friend. Once they were done, they wrote me a note saying, "If you fix these six major problems and 60 minor problems, we think it's marketable." It went on to be the first book I sold. I'm honored that Desert Breeze chose to reissue it.

STEPH: Do you cast your characters? If so, who are the leads?

DEB: I never have. I prefer to visualize them as they take shape in my mind, and let my readers do the same as they read. Although I think Cassie does look a tad bit like I might've looked as a young twenties. She's prettier, though.

STEPH: How long have you been writing?


DEB: Non-seriously, since age 10. Seriously, since the late 80s. I first sold in 2002, so I guess I'm a 40 year overnight success.

STEPH: Are you a plotter or a panster? Totally, 110% pantser.

DEB: I rarely plot anything out beforehand. I prefer to write "character-driven" fiction, and the characters don't always tell me what they're up to. The one time I tried to outline, the book bogged down and still isn't finished.

STEPH: Do you have an ebook reader? If so, which one?

DEB: I don't ... but family, if you're listening, Christmas IS coming!

STEPH: What was the last novel you read?

DEB: I've been writing so much, I can't think of the last one I picked up and then finished! LOL. I'm currently reading Laurie Alice Eakes' print book LADY IN THE MIST. But since I'm heavily in rewrites on another project, I can't honestly say I'm diligent about reading for pleasure just now.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Deb,

    Nice to get to know you! Powerline sounds interesting. Can't wait to see what's next in the spotlight tomorrow.

    by the way, thanks for taking our stuff to the convention. We're glad you didn't get thrown out because of the sachets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Deb doesn't tell you is that her critique partner is an outliner, a synopsizer, and a plotter...and that I have the Nerf bat at the ready at all times to swat her characters back into line if they do something they can't explain to me. (mwah haaah haaaaaah!)

    OK, enough of that silliness. Just buy Deb's books. Buy more of them. Buy them for people you love. Buy them for people you don't even like, and those people will like YOU because you'll have given them a great read!

    Janny

    ReplyDelete