Wednesday 27 July 2011

Author Spotlight - Jillian Chantel talks about her favorite movies


My favorite movie is a tough question, really almost impossible to answer. I'm an avid film buff and I adore all the old ones the most. I'm a huge Hitchcock fan as well as a Cary Grant fan. The films they made together almost make me swoon in bliss. I also love the Thin Man movies and any of the other 1930s screwball comedies. The fast pace of the dialogue makes me grin like the Cheshire cat standing on his head. It's such fun to watch those actors play verbal ping pong. I like to try to write snappy dialogue like that.

I also adore period movies, like Sense and Sensibility and Emma. The imagery and scenery are always outstanding, to say nothing of the houses and clothes.

And who doesn't love Al Pacino and Robert DeNiro and all their tough guy movies? Both of these guys have gritty down pat. One of the hottest movie scenes ever is in Sea of Love with Pacino. He's very versatile and I never tire of watching him.

Movies are actually my muse, I believe. I'm what's called an auditory learner and learn best by hearing things. Listening to dialogue in movies makes me feel inspired to write my own, so to choose a favorite is very hard for me.

I think if you held my feet to the fire and I had to pick, it would be Notorious with Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman. It's definitely one that bucks the romance genre- the heroine marries the bad guy. And Claude Rains plays the role to perfection. It's a toe-tingling, dark movie and I recommend it highly- very atmospheric.

8 comments:

  1. Great Movies. Cary Grant was amazing. I can't imagine that everyone didn't love him. Redemption for the Devil is a great book. Peg and Liam are a perfect match.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore Cary! Glad to hear you do, too. Am thrilled you liked the book and the characters! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh, I get warm fuzzies just thinking of Cary Grant. Any movie with him in it works for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laure- that's a good way to put it. I watched Norht by Northwest before I left for Italy and I just adore that one, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Jillian! I recently listened to a book on tape- The Understudy by Dave Nicholls. Fabulously written and there was a whole called "Being Cary Grant." He is the master of sauve.
    Good look on the new release. Can't wait to read it!
    Casey. Crow

    ReplyDelete
  6. Casey- that sounds great. One time in an interview, Cary said he even wished he was Cary Grant. LOL! I'll have to check out the book. I hope you like Redemption.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent Blog! I would like to thank for the efforts you have made in writing this post. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. I wanted to thank you for this websites! Thanks for sharing. Great websites! ชวนดูหนังน่าสนใจ

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. หนังไทยออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete