Thursday 20 January 2011

Author Spotlight Week - Susanne Marie Knight shares her favorite authors

Author Georgette Heyer

My favorite author? Oh, that’s too difficult to whittle down to only one. So I’ll cheat again. :)) Growing up, I enjoyed reading three genres of novels--science fiction, Regency, and suspense. I still do today.

For powerful stories that stretch the imagination--science fiction, I love to read Isaac Asimov and Robert A. Heinlein. With those authors, I could wile away the hours in the company of robots and exploring deep space.

For elegance and charm of Polite Society, I turn to Regencies, and author Georgette Heyer. Surprisingly, Regencies and science fiction are linked by many readers. According to September 2002’s Romantic Times Bookclub Magazine, science fiction fans love the “alien” world of polite Regency society. This interest, the article states, is due to Regency author Georgette Heyer’s prose using “witty dialogue, costumes, rules and conventions of the Regency society...” I agree!

For the challenge of a juicy murder mystery, Agatha Christie can’t be beat. I read and reread her many books, always on the lookout for clues so I can solve the murder. And if the story contains romance, so much the better! I’ve learned a great deal about detecting from Christie’s two unconventional crime solvers, Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple.

No comments:

Post a Comment