Thursday 6 January 2011

Author Spotlight Week -Danielle Thorne shares her last vacation


I'm lucky to be able to take a few road trips every year, but my last big getaway was in April of 2010. I can't believe it's been almost a year since I had the opportunity to walk the Mayan ruins in Tulum, Mexico, and dive with a young local in Mahahuel as he collected lionfish specimens with a spear gun. I've always been attracted to the exotic – the Orient, Europe and the Caribbean. I have a deep love for this planet. The beauty and diversity of it amazes me. It's truly a blessing.

Getting away and planning vacations isn't easy, especially at my stage of life. It's something I've sought to make a priority, not just for myself but for my family. As St. Augustine said, "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." I've become a hands-on person. I want to taste, touch, smell and feel everything I've read about. Traveling makes me feel alive. If that means living on a small grocery budget to save pennies, or wearing off-brand clothes, so be it.

We had a very small Christmas this year, and my children were very understanding. I'm sure it's because they know next spring, we hope to be cruising the waters of the eastern Caribbean and adding a few more dive experiences under our belts.

Bon Voyage!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for your post, Danielle. I too would travel, if I could afford to.

    Among the places I can reach by car, my first choice would be the Great Circle of tourist attractions in the southwestern states. Why? I don't know. Places like the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Zion National Park, Monument Valley, the Painted Desert, and the various Anasazi archeological sites simply sound fascinating. And I've never been to any of them.

    Among the places where I'd have to reach by plane or boat, my first choice would be Greece. Here my reasons are pretty obvious. I'm a big mythology and ancient history buff.

    Since you're into diving, I hear the waters around Greece make for fascinating dives. You might consider vacationing in these spots. Who knows, you might not just have fun, but also discover something!

    Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary Anne. I think the Southwest is pretty magical, too. I visited Mesa, AZ once. The area really throws me back to the days of the Old West. I hope you'll put your wish on your list of things to do and make it happen. What a fun car trip that would be.

    I've never been to Europe but I hope to some day...just for the food! hahaha. I don't know if I'd have the courage to dive in that area--I don't even know if I would dive in Hawaii. I have a strange paranoia of Great White Sharks. For some silly reason I feel safer in the Caribbean.

    Thx for coming by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't traveled in a while - since I got out of the army. Oh, I guess I've traveled around California and to Vegas and that's it. I miss traveling. Dani, I think you'd enjoyed Europe very much. We have a small island off the coast of California called Catalina. We go each year for the 4th of July. You might like it.

    Smiles
    Moderator Steph

    ReplyDelete
  4. We do a simple Christmas compared to others, though it may not appear so. All of our decorations are carefully saved from year to year so $$$ isn't spent on them.

    Delayne gets lots of good stuff, but when she tells me what other kids get, I'm floored. I mean really floored. It's waaaay too much.

    We like to spend our money on vacations too. I comepletely get it.

    ReplyDelete