Wednesday 21 July 2010

Author Spotlight Week -Gail Delaney shares her favorite movie


When Stephanie asked me to write a blog about my favorite movie, my first instinct was to pick a science fiction move, since that is the genre I'm promoting. And while, yes, I love Star Wars and all the Star Trek movies -- including the new one -- none of them are my 'favorite' movie.

That movie would have to be the movie I'd stop to watch if I ever saw it on television. It would be the movie I quote from. The movie that still makes me smile when I remember the first time I ever watched it.

And while there are a few movies that might fall into one category or another, there is only one movie that meets all three criteria: Pretty Woman.

I'm all about subtlety when it comes to building a romance. You might think "What's so subtle about a rich man and a prostitute sleeping together?" Well, as Vivian says... "I'm a sure thing." Okay, yes, when it came to the bedroom, she was. But what I mean is the other little things that had nothing to do with the 'pay out'. The way he looked at her at the polo match, the ease they had around each other... and the final intimacy of their first kiss. She was a 'woman for hire', but he treated her (Well, not all the time... but...) like a queen.

Who didn't go "Wow!" when he beat up Stuckey his slimy lawyer, and touched her cheek when he said "Not all guys hit". Le sigh.

I saw Pretty Woman for the first time in high school. I can't even tell you how many times I've seen it since. On DVD, in the theater, on television... if it's on, I'm there.

4 comments:

  1. Gail, I loved this movie. For me, it is the eptimone of a modern day Cinderella story. It's definately a must see for me!

    Smiles
    Moderator Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite movie is one I saw when I was a teenager. Maybe that has something to do with choosing a favorite movie, you gotta see it when you're young and impresionable.

    Barri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this movie. Takes me back to my college days. Notting Hill is my favorite Julia Roberts flick.

    "I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her." *sigh*
    Then Hugh grant repeats this to his family and upon seeing all of their puppydog faces blurts out, "Dear God, I've made the wrong choice, haven't I?" Thus begins rush through traffic to get to his woman. Love, love, LOVE that movie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to agree, Gail... I love Pretty Woman!! (Though it ranks on my list of favs, it's not my ultimate, personally). I think what I like best about it is that it shows how real love is blind to things like financial status, social class, etc... Too many people get wrapped up in the minute details of those kinds of things, and miss out on real love, because of it.

    And, Barri, I didn't actually see Pretty Woman for the first time until I was well into my 20s... And it still left a deep impression on me.

    ReplyDelete