Wednesday 14 July 2010

Author Spotlight Week - Barri Byran shares her favorite movie


You would think because of my love for all things western, that my favorite movie is a western. Think again. Then you might suppose that I have fallen under the spell of the magic of one of those new films with all its enchantment of animation and graphics. Wrong again. Have I been captured by one of those scary vampire movies with shape shifters and creatures of the night? The answer again is no. My favorite movie is one I first saw back in 1943 when I was sixteen years old. Its title is Now, Voyager and it stars Bette Davis and Paul Henreid. Why am I so enamored of this film? I don't know. Maybe it's the plot. The story revolves around Charlotte Vale, a middle-aged repressed spinster who is completely dominated by her over-bearing, demanding mother. As the story unfolds she struggles to become independent of her mother. It's not an easy transition but she finally blossoms into a strong, confident woman. Then she falls in love with a married man. On second thought, the plot is trite and at times, contrived. As plots go it's about as ordinary as plots can get.

Maybe it's the characters. A middle-aged ugly duckling that changes into a self-confident swan and a married man who falls in love with the swan and is too weak to breaks the bonds of an unhappy marriage so he can be with her? Neither of these characters possesses the sterling qualities I would say portray a hero or a heroine. It couldn't be the characters.
It must be the ending. I'm a sucker for happy endings. But the ending isn't exactly happy. I'd say it's more like satisfying. I'm back to square one. My favorite movie of all time is Now, Voyager. I'm danged if I know why.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting pick for a movie. I would have to say that I have a hard time watching much with Bette Davis. She's a good actress and all but she's always seems to brood. There are only a couple movies I care to watch with her in it. Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte being one of them. Ms Davis is an acquired taste, one I haven't acquired yet. Oh well. I may have to watch the movie just to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I like most about Bette Davis is her versatility. She seemed to be whatever character she was protraying. I think those huge Orphan Annie eyes gave her that brooding quality. I like Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte too. Miss Davis always made a chilling villain or in her case should I say villainess?

    I hope you will watch Now Voyager and thanks for stopping by and for leaving a comment.

    Barri

    ReplyDelete
  3. My fav bette Davis movie is All About Eve. and like you, I don't know why lol

    ReplyDelete