Sunday 13 December 2009

Welcome K Dawn Byrd - guest blogging about her ebook reader




Okay. I'll admit it. I'm one of those people who don't much like change. To be more accurate, I loathe change. When I'd heard snippets that ebooks were the way of the future, I fought it with everything in me. I've been a book collector for over 15 years and have well over 1,000 books in my home. For some reason, the very existence of ebooks threatened my beloved print books. I vowed that I would never buy an ebook, the enemy that might eventually extinguish the print books that I so love to hold in my hands.

My first experience with the enemy was when I read about an upcoming release on Michelle Sutton's blog. Her Danger at the Door was just the kind of book that I like to read. And, the mental health aspect woven into the plot piqued my interest as well. I followed the link to her publisher and found that it was available only in ebook format. I just HAD to have that book. I e-mailed Michelle and was told that if I wanted to read it that I'd have no choice but to read it in ebook format.

I failed at the first download to my Blackberry because I didn't know that having reader software on my Blackberry was a requirement. I e-mailed customer service at Desert Breeze and they were nice enough to send it to me in a format that I could read on my computer. On a mission, I wouldn't stop until I had what I needed to read it on the go. I downloaded the free Mobipocket software and have now read approximately 15 ebooks in .prc format since August.

That said, I absolutely love ebooks. I'm not killing trees, using expensive ink and lugging around a heavy objects. And best of all, I can read when I want my cell phone. I can read in bed with hubby right beside me and don't have to worry about disturbing him with a bedside light. I can adjust the font and backlighting and there's no need to spend money on an expensive Kindle or ebook reader since I have my cell phone with me at all times (many people have what they need to read an ebook in their pocket and don't realize it.) Also, ebooks are very inexpensive (Michelle's was $5.99 and many ebooks are free if they're in the public domain. Since I store ebooks on my computer (or a flash drive), they're not taking up room in my home and I can read them again if I choose.

I believe ebooks to the way of the future. After all, how many of us fought purchasing a microwave oven? A DVD player? A Cell phone? And, now an ebook? Progress will continue no matter how hard we try to fight it. I for one, hope that ebooks are here to stay.

Thanks for allowing me to share my experience. www.kdawnbyrd.blogspot.com

1 comment:

  1. There are a lot of positives to having an ebook reader like you mention. You save ink, paper, and you can read it anywhere. It's very convientent in a dentist or doctor's office or if you're waiting in line.

    I also use a Kindle for my Iphone app and I've read a few books on it. Again, I liked the convienence of it, being able to read it when I was waiting in a line, especially.

    Ebooks are the wave of the future. According to Publisher's Weekly, ebooks sold 50 million in the U.S. Market alone. I know at least 10 people at work who have a Kindle.

    Thanks for sharing.
    Smiles,
    Steph

    ReplyDelete